Prediction? Guitar Hero IV will be one of the biggest Wii games of 2008. Call me crazy, but I have a hunch.
Activision hasn’t specified a release date, and despite the occasional rumor, we haven’t heard any definitive word on possible song inclusions. But we’ve played through each track on Guitar Hero III about a thousand times, and since speculation always makes the wait more fun, what better time than now to discuss which songs we’d like to see in the next Guitar Hero?
Join us at the Infendo roundtable and listen in as we elders deliberate on the ten songs we’d like to see added to Guitar Hero IV, complete with links for YouTube samples of each song for your enjoyment.
10. The Cure – High
09. Jenny Lewis – The Big Guns
08. Phoenix – Rally
07. Ben Kweller – Magic
06. All-American Rejects – Move Along
05. Nirvana – In Bloom
04. The Beatles – You Can’t Do That
03. Blue Ã–yster Cult – (Don’t Fear) The Reaper
02. Mute Math – Typical
01. Van Halen – Panama
“The Beast and Dragon Adored” by Spoon and Foo Fighter’s “Everlong” just missed the cut. Guitar Hero can stay relevant in a post Rock Band world provided the former ends up being the better rock DJ, which I think they have been so far at least in terms of riff-age. Face-melting riffs, FTW! And I forgot, Lagwagon and Blink would be appreciated as well.
10. Mastodon – Blood and Thunder
09. Tokyo Police Club – Nature of the Experiment
08. KMFDM – Light
07. Slayer – Angel of Death
06. Hum – Stars
05. Pantera – 5 Minutes Alone
04. Joy Division – Disorder
03. Prince – Kiss
02. Refused – New Noise
01. The Smiths – This Charming Man
“This Charming Man” could be considered the antithesis of Dragonforce’s “Through the Fire and the Flames.” It’s a complicated riff without all the aggression, something the game could use.
10. Toto – Africa
09. Metallica – Nothing Else Matters
08. Bad Religion – 21st Century (Digital Boy)
07. Soundgarden – Spoonman
06. Under the Influence of Giants – Mama’s Room
05. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Hard to Concentrate
04. Alice in Chains – Heaven Beside You
03. Pearl Jam – Alive
02. Boston – Peace of Mind
01. Stone Temple Pilots – Plush
I donned my plaid flannel button down shirt and grew my hair out when I wrote this list. While it might read like a cross between a 90’s high school locker door and a napkin at your local karaoke bar, this is the stuff I grew up with. Many a cold night were spent out near the high tension wires with this music blaring, and many a SNES game or ten were defeated whilst Eddie Vedder sang a sad tale of step fathers or elderly women, behind counters, in small towns. Hell, half of this stuff might make for terrible pseudo-guitar playin’ fun, but it’s still great music! Yes, even Toto.
10. They Might Be Giants – Don’t Let’s Start
09. The Cars – My Best Friend’s Girl
08. The Monkees – Pleasant Valley Sunday
07. Maximo Park – Girls Who Play Guitars
06. Modest Mouse – Missed the Boat
05. The Shins – Turn On Me
04. The Raconteurs – Broken Boy Soldier (w/ Jack White boss battle)
03. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – Runnin’ Down a Dream
02. Cake – Short Skirt, Long Jacket
01. Nitro – Freight Train
I was also going to say, “Losing My Religion” by REM, but they should just save it for Mandolin Hero.
10. In Flames – Moonshield
09. At The Gates – Blinded By Fear
08. Symphony X – Inferno (Unleash The Fire)
07. Nevermore – The River Dragon Has Come
06. Children of Bodom – Sixpounder
05. Judas Priest – Painkiller
04. Anthrax – Caught in a Mosh
03. Testament – Practice What You Preach
02. Overkill – Elimination
01. Megadeth – Washington is Next
Activision, I beg you. Could we cut back on the goofy pop songs and long-winded anthems for the next Guitar Hero? Few genres of music emphasize technical, furious guitar playing more than (true) heavy metal, and GH4 needs more of it. Especially from Megadeth; frontman Dave Mustaine is a masterful riff architect and guitarist of the highest order. It’s a shame his stuff was missing from GH3.
Agree with some of us? All of us? None of us? Let the Socratic debate begin in the comments, and be sure to post your GH4 wishes!