Imagine: suddenly you’re in charge at Nintendo. You’ve got just 24 hours to order any course of action, and the deal is, once you’ve ordered it, the company will do its best to carry out your wishes for the next year, no matter the cost or consequences.
Here’s what I’d do, right now:
1. Pour as much money and manpower as needed to get a new Smash Brothers, a new Super Mario Brothers, a new Pokemon RPG (with Pokemon Stadium built in) and a new Zelda onto 3DS by next fall.
2. Get on the phone with Apple (see steps 3 and 4) and Disney (for an epic Mario adventure ride in Epcot’s Japan pavilion, of course!)
3. Port classic 8 & 16 bit games, as well as casual-centric titles like Brain Age and Clubhouse Games, to iOS.
4. Make feature-light but very polished versions of the following games for iOS and offer them for free: Nintendogs, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Luigi’s Mansion. Use them to advertise the deeper, more full-featured versions available or coming to 3DS. Apple will be okay with this, because everyone in Cupertino will be excited about meeting with Shigeru Miyamoto.
5. Cut game prices so that no cartridge for 3DS is over $25, and eShop games are more in line with the App Store pricing.
6. Get as many 3D feature films on 3DS as possible.
7. Make sure there’s something in the works that makes spectacular use of the 3DS AR capabilities.
8. Change the name of Wii U.
9. New projects for 3DS: Yoshi’s Island 2 and Stunt Race FX2 (my favorite forgotten Miyamoto game).
10. Get my picture taken with Shigeru Miyamoto and ask him to autograph my old fat blue DS.
11. Increase cool, fun merchandise available online at Club Nintendo by about, oh, 2000 percent.
12. Make all Nintendo game soundtracks available on iTunes and Club Nintendo.
13. Oh, yeah, get all those Wii RPGs over to North America. That one’s for the fans.
At this point, I’m sure many of you are very glad I’m not in charge at Nintendo. So, let’s hear your ideas! Be as serious or as silly as you like, but’really’what would you do?