During my last post about video game music, I selected ten songs from the Game Cube era. This time I did the same exact thing except for the Super Nintendo. Even though the Super Nintendo had 8 channels of 32 kHz 16-bit stereo sound, the system still managed to produce some of the most memorable themes in gaming history. Although, for you to remember the themes you had to have played the games right?
In this list I have listed ten different games and a special extra, which I had to acknowledge just for the sheer fact that it is possibly one of the most amazing scenes in 16 bit gaming history. Please be advised that this selection represents my own tastes, and if you have an addition please post it in the comments. I would like to hear your selections as well.
Honorable Mention – Boss Battle [Fight 2] (Final Fantasy II [IV])
10. Ohanabatike (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island)
9. Storm Eagle (Mega Man X)
8. Frog’s Theme (Chrono Trigger)
7. Boss 2 (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)
6. Brinstar (Super Metroid)
5. Hospital (Earthbound)
4. Lost Woods (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)
3. Gourmet Race (Kirby Super Star)
2. Aquatic Ambiance (Donkey Kong Country)
1. Opera Scene (Final Fantasy III [VI])