As we’re all enjoying our Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver, the world can’t help but squeeze additional information out about the next Pokemon iteration rumored to be hitting Japan later this year. Yesterday, the rumor mill spit out several different tidbits that make just about any Pokemaniac do somersaults all the way to the Pokemon Center.
- Nintendo 3DS! – Pokemon Generation 5 will indeed be, as was speculated, a launch title for the Nintendo 3DS.
- Transfer Your Pokemon – The game will be backwards compatible with the GBA and DS versions of the game, allowing you to transfer your Pokemon to your new game in a mechanic similar to the Pal Park (although there may be new gameplay elements involved).
- Pokemon in 3D – Gen5 will significantly increase the graphics of the game, and will therefore be in full 3D graphics, much like the jump Mario & Zelda made to 3D on the Nintendo 64. Battles will also be 3D, much like Pokemon Battle Revolution.
- Customize Your Avatar – Rumor has it, you’ll be able to customize your own avatar. Start from a basic template and create yourself.
- New Pokemon Type to be Introduced – This one was a surprize. We haven’t seen a new type thrown into Pokemon for a very long time. This will bring the total type count to 18.
- New Gameplay Mechanics – Developers are talking about a complete overhaul in some of the game’s basic mechanics.
- Starters to be Announced in May – CoroCoro Magazine will be announcing the new starters in the May issue of their magazine. Something to look forward to!
- Three Regions – And you thought having both Johto and Kanto in this game was awesome. This game will feature a new region of its own, as well as two yet-to-be announced regions. The speculation is that they will be Hoenn and Sinnoh.
If that doesn’t get you all gitty, I don’t know what will. I know that I’ll be picking up both the 3DS and Pokemon on Day 1. In a day like today, isn’t it nice to have a piece of reliable news?