What were the best Nintendo games released over the last 12 months for either Nintendo DS or Wii? I asked notable Infendo staffers to name their picks. Here’s what they said.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 – A masterwork of creative, inspired game design.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns – Retro Studios reinvigorates another icon.
- Kirby’s Epic Yarn – A seamless marriage of clever art and gameplay.
- Sin and Punishment 2 – Proof that the Wii can be hardcore, pigs can fly.
- GoldenEye 007 – An excellent recreation of a multiplayer classic.
- Metroid: Other M – An ambitious game that finally makes Samus Aran human.
- Disney Epic Mickey – Stellar art, surreal concept put Mickey back on the map.
- No More Heroes 2 – Suda’s latest is as irreverent, bold as ever.
- Mega Man 10 – Even ten Mega Man games isn’t enough.
- Trauma Team – Wii’s surgery simulator evolves, stays fun.
I don’t play much DS. Guilty as charged.
- Professor Layton and the Unwound Future – continues the grandÂ tradition of this series with tighter integration of puzzle and plot
- Rock Band 3 – yes, the keyboard completely revitalized this genre
- Dragon Quest IX – eases you into an amazing world and then blowsÂ your mind with so much to do
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 – it’s a great expansion on the original withÂ a lot less screwing around in between levels
- Bit.Trip Runner – punishing in its intensity, rewarding in it’sÂ graphics and music and fun
- Puzzle Quest 2 – they made the puzzle RPG feel more like a true RPG
- Wii Party – a huge improvement over the tired Mario Party seriesÂ and fun to return for the minigames; I never knew hide & seek could beÂ so much fun as an adult!
- Kirby’s Epic Yarn – how can you not love Kirby, even as yarn?
- Sin & Punishment Star Successor – lots of fun shooting critters inÂ beautiful landscapes
- Metroid: Other M – fun action, lame voiceover
Still haven’t played: Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Mickey, or the new Golden Sun
Jack — To lazy to submit his picks. Fart-knocker.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 – This perfect, awesome game introduced the world to lava hippos.
- Rock Band 3 – It’s like a vast, fully-customizable musical theme park.
- Professor Layton and the Unwound Future – This game’s final scenes are unforgettable.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns – A stunning game that’s going to keep me challenged for weeks.
- Kirbyâ€™s Epic Yarn – Jaw-dropping imagination at work, here.
- Epic Mickey – Its incredible art direction, animation and concept compensate for oddly-paced gameplay.
- Lego Harry Potter – Funny and charming from beginning to end.
- Warioware D.I.Y. – This perfectly-tuned mini-game creator is a work of genius.
- Wii Party – A lot more fun than it looked.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem – Tiny wind-up Marios hit DK in the face with rockets–What more could you ask for?
- Donkey Kong Country Returns. Better than Super Mario Galaxy 2.
- Super Mario Galaxy 2. Star Wars is to Super Mario Galaxy as Empire Strikes Back is to SMG2.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops. Explosive gameplay, superior controls, inferior graphics.
- GoldenEye 007. Split-screen bliss, sneaky campaign.
- Epic Kirby. Not as good as Canvas Curse, bet clever background duality gameplay.
- NBA Jam. Retro four-player riot with a modern look.
- Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. For those who dig Hotel Dusk…
- Michael Jackson: The Experience. Just Dance 2 plus better dance music.
- Guilty Party. Better than Wii Party.
- Red Steel 2. Best Wii Swordplay ever?
- Monster Hunter Tri. Snoozer opening, huge second and third acts.
Games I still haven’t played but would like to: The incredibly high-scoring Shantae: Risky’s Revenge for DSiWare. Udraw for Wii. Sonic Colors.
Enough about us. What are your top 10 Nintendo games of the year?