LOS ANGELES–For decades, Nintendo has endeavored to provide the most creative and immersive experiences in the world of video games and to lead the industry in new directions. At its media briefing in advance of the E3Â Expo, the video game industry’s premier trade show, Nintendo announced products for social entertainment that stretch far beyond the current notion of what a video game can be, all while continuing to provide avid gaming fans with the challenges and thrills they desire.
“Nintendo continues to challenge how both new and longtime players perceive ”“ and play ”“ video games,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “From modern updates of our most iconic franchises to the introduction of inventive devices, we are continuing to add entirely new dimensions to the video game experience.”
A summary of Nintendo’s major announcements:
- Wii MotionPlusâ„¢:Â Nintendo’s Wii MotionPlus accessory offers motion-controlled precision when combined with specially designed games. When connected to the Wii Remoteâ„¢Â controller, it delivers on Nintendo’s promise to provide even more immersive physical reality in its games. The device senses subtle motion and can locate where and how players hold the Wii Remote controller in 3-D space. It pushes active gaming to new levels of immersion and a new standard of control. Wii MotionPlus will complement a host of third-party games launching in the next few weeks.
- Wii Sports Resortâ„¢:Â Nintendo showcased the versatility of the Wii MotionPlus accessory in demos of some of the activities included inÂ Wii Sports Resort, an immersive, expansive active-play game.Â Wii Sports ResortÂ includes a dozen fun resort-themed activities that maintain the wide-ranging appeal that attracted millions to the originalÂ Wii Sports.Â Wii Sports ResortÂ is easy to pick up and play, but comes coupled with deeper levels of play that are sure to challenge even the most experienced gamers with precise controls. The Wii MotionPlus accessory will help players come much closer to the physical reality of engaging in the actual sports. The Wii MotionPlus accessory launches June 8 at a suggested retail price of $19.99, and comes bundled withÂ Wii Sports ResortÂ on July 26 at a suggested retail price of $49.99.
- Wii Fitâ„¢Â Plus:Â Wii Fitâ„¢Â attracted millions of new players to the world of video games, and nowÂ Wii Fit PlusÂ offers a range of new features and enhancements, along with exercises and balance games designed to keep workouts fun. Players will find an additional dimension to theÂ Wii Fitexperience as they easily set their own customized daily workout routines or choose 20-, 30- or 40-minute workouts based on how much time they have available. Users will also be able to choose from specialized workout routines that help players strive toward specific objectives, like toning tummies, tightening arms or even reducing stress. Workouts combine the originalÂ Wii FitÂ activities and selections from 15 new balance games and six new strength training and yoga activities.Â Wii Fit PlusÂ will come packed with the Wii Balance Boardâ„¢Â accessory, and also will be sold separately as software for people who already have a Wii Balance Board at home. Both will be available in fall 2009.
- New Super Mario Bros. Wiiâ„¢:Â Developers at Nintendo have dreamed of creating a simultaneous multiplayerÂ Super Mario Bros.Â game for decades. The Wii console finally makes that dream come true for everyone this holiday season. Now players can navigate the side-scrolling worlds alone as before or invite up to three others to join them at the same time on the same level at any point in the game for competitive and cooperative multiplayer fun inÂ New Super Mario Bros. Wii. With the multiplayer mode, the newest installment of the most popular video game franchise is designed to bring yet another type of family entertainment into living rooms and engage groups of friends in fast-pacedÂ Super Mario Bros.Â fun.
- Super Mario Galaxyâ„¢Â 2:Â This upcoming adventure for the Wii console marks the first time a second 3-D Mario game has arrived in the same console generation. In the game, Mario rides his trusty dinosaur companion, Yoshiâ„¢, to new stars and the fantastic worlds found there. This 3-D platforming adventure provides longtime video game fans with a fresh round of out-of-this-world challenges in the style introduced in the critically acclaimed original. The game is planned for 2010.
- Metroidâ„¢: Other M:Â Nintendo showcased a trailer for a new installment in its acclaimedÂ MetroidÂ franchise for the Wii console.Â Metroid: Other MÂ marks an unprecedented collaboration with world-renowned developers Team Ninja, and provides fans with high-energy, action-packed game play as it delves deeper into the back story of famed deep-space bounty hunter Samus Aran. This game is scheduled for release in 2010.
- Wii Vitality Sensor:Â Nintendo’s newest groundbreaking product, the Wii Vitality Sensor, expands the appeal of video games. It will initially sense the user’s pulse and a number of other signals being transmitted by their bodies, and will then provide information to the users about the body’s inner world.
Nintendo DSâ„¢Â and Nintendo DSiâ„¢
- Mario vs. Donkey Kongâ„¢: Minis March Again!:Â This game marks the third installment of this franchise and, more importantly, the first Nintendo DSiWareâ„¢Â game to let players design levels from the ground up. Mario will need to dodge obstacles to confront his longtime nemesis Donkey Kongâ„¢, but this time the players will have full control over where to set traps, enemies and a host of power-ups in the construction zone.Â Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!Â will be available in the Nintendo DSi Shop beginning Monday, June 8, for 800 Nintendo DSi Pointsâ„¢.
- Integrating Photos with Facebook:Â For its Nintendo DSiâ„¢Â system, Nintendo announced the ability for users to upload pictures taken with the system’s built-in camera and interactive lenses directly to Facebook. Using Facebook Connect, the integration will be available this summer with a Nintendo DSi system update, making it even easier for people to personalize and share their photos with friends and family on Facebook.
- Mario & Luigiâ„¢: Bowser’s Inside Story:Â Nintendo revealedÂ Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story, a new chapter to the popular role-playing franchise that places players into the belly of the beast ”“ literally. Players will get to enjoy trademark hilarious dialogue in the fall of 2009 as they juggle two concurrent storylines.Â Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside StoryÂ is playable on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems.
- Golden Sunâ„¢Â DS:Â After going dark six years ago, 2010 will see a new dawn.Â Golden Sun DSÂ updates the popular portableÂ Golden SunÂ role-playing series with an impressive graphical style. This installment follows the story of the previous heroes’ descendants and immerses players into the magic of its adventure by pushing the boundaries of intuitive touch-screen controls.Â Golden Sun DSÂ is playable on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems.
- WarioWare D.I.Y.â„¢:Â This game, which puts the concept of user-generated content on center stage, allows players to design their own micro-games from scratch.Â Every element, such as the characters, the environment, the actions and even the purpose of the micro-game itself, is controlled entirely by the player. Players will then be able to share their completed micro-games with otherÂ WarioWare D.I.Y.Â owners. The latest game in theÂ WarioWareâ„¢Â series is playable on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems.
Nintendo-published games available to play on the show floor:
- New Super Mario Bros. Wiiâ„¢
- Wii Fitâ„¢Â Plus
- Wii Sports Resortâ„¢
- Sin and Punishmentâ„¢Â 2
- Endless Oceanâ„¢Â 2
- Line Attack Heroesâ„¢
- Span Smasherâ„¢
- PictureBook Gamesâ„¢: Pop-Up Pursuit
- You, Me & the Cubesâ„¢
- Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
- Icarian: Kindred Spirits
- Sword & Soldiers
- Military Madness: Nectaris
- Cave Story
- The Legendary Starfyâ„¢
- The Legend of Zeldaâ„¢: Spirit Tracks
- Fossil Fightersâ„¢
- Professor Layton and the Diabolical Boxâ„¢
- Mario & Luigiâ„¢: Bowser’s Inside Story
- PokÃ©monâ„¢Â Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
- Style Savvyâ„¢
- Glory of Heraclesâ„¢
- Golden Sunâ„¢Â DS
- Picross 3Dâ„¢
- Mario vs. Donkey Kongâ„¢: Minis March Again!
- Flipnote Studioâ„¢
- Animal Crossingâ„¢Â Clock
- Animal Crossingâ„¢Â Calculator
- Photo Clock
- Marioâ„¢Â Clock
- Marioâ„¢Â Calculator
- Six in One TranslatorÂ (working title)
- Crash-Course Domoâ„¢
- White-Water Domoâ„¢
- Hard-Hat Domoâ„¢
- Rock-n-Roll Domoâ„¢
- Pro-Putt Domoâ„¢